Learning Blade has four goals:
- Get students interested in STEM and STEM Careers.
- Build basic skills necessary for success in STEM.
- Expose students to Science, Technology, Engineering and Math concepts in an engaging manner.
- Provide reinforcement for academic standards and goals.
Thinking Media has worked with six sites in five different states to conduct a pilot study of the Learning Blade STEM education system. The pilots demonstrated that the Learning Blade mission game-based format is useful for both increasing STEM awareness and self-efficacy and also as a tool for practicing academic standards and skills.
Over 260 students participated in the study. These students responded that:
- 72% learned something about new careers
- 76% learned something about technology
- 61% and 54% learned something about math and English, respectively
- 71% would rather use Learning Blade than do traditional homework
Additional results revealed the math and reading exercises, which were designed according to academic standards, were challenging to the students. Nonetheless, students maintained a positive attitude, saying they felt they could answer most questions correctly.
The results indicate the system achieved the goals of improving student awareness of STEM technologies and careers while also providing meaningful practice of academic skills that was more entertaining to students than traditional homework.